10.01.2011

Fabric-Backed Bookshelf

Happy October! Let's start out with a nice crafty project...something fun (and overdue!).

Remember back when I make the children's nook at my parent's house?  I applied fabric to the back of the bookshelf.  It was pretty simple, you could totally do it.

1- buy some spray adhesive at Lowes.

2- measure the size of each panel on the bookshelf.  Even if they look the same, each one may be slightly different, so you have to measure each one.  Or if you are doing a bookshelf that has adjustable shelves, you can just take them all out and line the entire back (do consider the thickness of your fabric, you want to make sure the shelf will still fit in with the fabric behind it).
3- cut your fabric.
4- after laying your bookshelf on it's back, spray the back of your fabric.

5- carefully line up the fabric and apply it to the panel, smoothing it with your hands (starting at the middle and pressing outwards).
*It might not be perfect, and I'm no perfectionist.  My fabric edges were raw and uneven, but that's not the important part.  Most of it will be covered up with books and knick-knacks anyway.

6- Stand it up and put it to use!

Let me know if you decide to give it a try, I'd love to see how it turns out!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...