9.17.2009

Dreams do come true... or is it TWO?

I had a dream last night that I was pregnant with twins! Whoa! But then I woke up and realized it wasn't a dream at all. It was what the doctor told us at our ultrasound last week.

So now that you've gotten up off the floor, you need to know that this is completely 100% true!
Y-eeeeeah. I'm not even kidding!

I'M PREGNANT AGAIN! (not much of a shocker there)....
WE'RE HAVING TWINS! (h-o-l-y c-o-w)!

Here's the proof:

(In case you can't read it, it says TWINS in the middle!)

We've known that I am expecting since July 31st (it was my birthday present to Simon)! And we decided to keep it quiet until later. Being pregnant the 2nd time is SO different--- it's hardly ever on your mind and we would even forget to pray for little baby Henry at night. (how awful!). I finally made a doctor's appointment and went to have it confirmed that I was 8 weeks preggo. Yippy! :) Baby is due at the end of March, which was a little earlier than I had wanted, but all the same.

I went 4 weeks later for an early ultrasound to double check the due date and see the baby etc. As soon as the doc put the scope on my belly, I saw the perfect little baby!--- little arms and legs and that great big head. So wonderful! But the doc got a puzzled look on his face and said "hmm"... and then "there's one"...he moved the scope... "and there's the other one!"
He continued... back and forth, back and forth--- there's one, and there's two. He must have known he had to do that because we probably looked like we'd seen a ghost! Simon said he must be kidding--- but, no. Apparently this doctor doesn't joke about things like this (what a great physician). :) Even more odd, the doctor went on to say ... "and your new due date is April 1st".... are you joking me?! haha. But based on Christian being born a week early, they are estimating that twins may be born 3 weeks early... putting us at early-mid March.

I started bawling! Simon, who unfortunately was trying to control Christian at the time, was in shock and didn't know what to do. How is this even possible!??... we were both asking the question. Apparently, twins don't have to run in the family for you to have them... it can be completely random.

If you're not interested in the "body" details, you can skip this paragraph. I guess it can go down 2 ways. #1-- there is one egg that is fertilized and then splits, making identical twins. #2- there are two eggs that are fertilized and each is separate from the other, but still twins (fraternal). Unless they are different genders, there is no 100% way to find out until they are born.

So we weren't planning on finding out the gender of any of our children--- but this minor detail of having two babies at once sorta changes things. We are pretty sure we will try to find out the genders so that we can be more prepared for this radical life-shift from one child to THREE.
It's just that when we think about our lives and our family and the future, we never even considered the possibility of TWINS being apart of that. When I say it like that, it seems like I'm making having twins out to be such a big deal, really it's only one more child-------but it IS a big deal!

What will definitely be huge is my stomach! I don't even know what this is going to look like. :)
I am trying to enjoy my final days of trimness and being able to bend over. haha.

Now that I know there are two precious lives inside me, it's like being pregnant for the first time again! I've never done this exact thing before--- it's a new experience and I LOVE it! And just so you know, this was entirely natural and must be God-ordained. We know that this has to be a God-thing, so we're trusting Him that he has a plan for us and our growing family.

As far as "normal" pregnancy stuff, I've felt really good, just more tired than normal. I am 11.5 weeks along, so almost done with the first trimester. I thank God for the blessings of health--- we don't realize how much of a difference health makes in our lives, good or bad.

We are especially thanking the Lord for his double blessing of two little kiddos soon to be added to our family. Aren't you totally excited about this?!?!? We are so psyched! We told Simon's parents a over a week ago when they were visiting, and we just told my parents last night when they got to our house! So now the good news is out: tell the world!

9 comments:

Amy said...

yay!!!! so excited for you guys!!! the henry homestead sure is well on its way :) have you guys seen cheaper by the dozen? ;)

Shannon said...

I still can't believe it! Brian told me last night after seeing Danny Psalms- and I said, well I'm sure Simon was joking! This is so exciting! If anyone can do it- you 2 can!

Erin Crider said...

this is so exciting! first twins in the family. i didn't even know it could happen randomly. congratulations you guys!

Chelsea Buwalda said...

CONGRATS!!! Marc and I are so happy for you two. You are such a beautiful family already and we can't even imagine how it will be with two more babies! How exciting!!

Team Tonagel said...

What awesome news! Love your outlook on it and hope that everything goes smooth from here on out. You definitely are the right mama for the job. Congrats. Love you guys!

Jessica said...

So I saw Simon on Wednesday and said, "How are the babies doing?" At that moment in time I didn't realize you were expecting TWO babies! I was just refering to Christian and the new little one... but he said "Good..." and then did a sort of baffled laugh... and then told me that the ultrasound said that everything was going well. I was still thinking of only one baby, and I think he thought I knew about the two babies... which I didn't. But I thought that was crazy that you're having TWO BABIES!!!! That is so cool though! You guys have done so well with Christian that I think you'll handle two more beautifully. And two little mini-Christians will be so stinkin cute!!!

Anonymous said...

Guess my dream was right! ;-) Congratulations to you FIVE ;-)

Boswell said...

Just found your blog today! Congrats! On a side note, just today a co-worker told me she had a dream that I was having twins. I'm not even pregnant. This could be scary... :) Anyway, you guys will be great!!!

nicole aka gidget said...

Hi Rachel, Thanks for visiting & reading my blog and a huge congratulations to you and your husband on the twins! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...