6.22.2011

Key Fob

Saw these wrist key chains a few weeks ago on Infarrantly Creative, originally from the Idea Room.  Her fabric choice and perfect sewing construction created instant desire to make one for myself.  Enter: my so-so fabric choice and far-from-perfect sewing "science" (I guess that's what I'll call it) = a different version that actually turned out quite handy.
I didn't feel like waiting to buy a clip, so I repurposed my current (annoying) key strap.  Go Kats!
In hindsight, I should have left more length on the right side of the strap... I didn't leave myself much sewing room.  I also chose some really thick fabric, so I didn't add lining.  Since my fabric was so thick, I could hardly sew through all of it to attach it to the clip!  So I decided to use embroidery thread to secure the attachment.  I actually really like it...

Do I just like it because I'm the one who spent all the time sewing it?  Who knows.  Either way, it is MUCH more functional than that freakishly long IWU string that always tickled my leg while driving.  It's also the perfect size to throw around my wrist, or just let it hang out of my purse pocket (easy to grab before getting into the car...ehh, van).
So I highly recommend them.  To everyone.  And if you don't want to make one, hire me to do it so I can get more practice.  Thinner fabric would offer the look of the original one that I linked above.
Well there you have it.  Happy Wednesday!

5 comments:

Mom Potteiger said...

I like it Rachel! Probably would keep keys from getting lost in bottom of the purse. Very cute!

Amy {The Idea Room} said...

Great job! It turned out really cute. Thanks so much for sharing it with me!!

Amy {The Idea Room} said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I like it very much! And I wouldn't bash your fabric choice OR your sewing capabilities. I'm curious if you have been wearing it around your wrist though. At the site you got it from, she said that is what it's for; I think wearing keys around my wrist would drive me bonkers.

Ericka

mikenlulu said...

i think yours turned out really nicely! it looks sturdy and cute. now i am itching to make one. i like the idea of just being able to find my keys in my purse. and you've given me the idea to sew fun lanyards for my school keys. i always love crafty ideas. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...